Let’s try this again with different heads. Hmmm, seems like I was installing the engine about this time last year too.
After sitting all winter, time to pull the shower trailer out of the weeds for repairs and prep.
The 09 Burningman event. Overall, a great success. But, there were problems with my shower apparatus, the tractor bus and my solar setup. Improvements to follow…
DMV day. I passed inspection, got registration and my license plate. Many thanks to the tear drop peeps for getting me through this http://td.roughwheelers.com/DMV/index.html
Finally, drive train installation. Wow, only two weeks left – I got to get my ass in gear!
Like Brandon’s 1974 Riviera, the factory shock mount on my 1974 Westy also broke. Hey, I am starting to notice a pattern here. I do not have enough time to weld in a proper fix. So, I drilled a hole through the frame to mount a shorter shock (from an old dead bug). I used a valve spring to hold the bolt in place while I weld the nut to the frame on the other side.
Standalone testing and tuning. I have got a nasty backfire situation coming up the carburetor on the 1,2 head. I think it’s an intake valve not seating or closing all the way.
I built 90% of the motor in a vertical position. A real back saver. Much easier to position and align the engine tins and exhaust system. It really balances well on the bell housing.
I modified the engine tins by closing off the heater blower ports and eliminating the oel tube. Tricky welding stamped sheet metal, I used a small oxyacetylene gas torch.
Tedious degreasing and cleaning. I started rebuilding the tractor bus drive train. I am only doing a partial rebuild on the motor (no engine case split). My partial rebuild includes new rod bearings, 94mm cylinders/pistons, hydraulic lifters and a valve job.
Back to the grind! On a suggestion from Gary, I measured the trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale, and it came in at 60lbs with no load (empty trailer). Overall, I guestimate 300lbs behind and 360lbs in front of the axle with an empty trailer.
I took some time off the project to go rafting down the Salmon River in Idaho. Seems like summer keeps getting in the way of my progress. Hey, even burners need a vacation ;^)
Finally, I put it all together for the initial test and it works! A full 5 gallon bag gives 6 minutes of pure shower bliss. Now, I just have to get it out to the playa.
I made a tarp for the shower stall walls. First, I cut a 48″ swath from a 12 x 20 foot sheet. Then, hand sew and grommet the cut seam to make a 45″ x 20 foot tarp. I will bungee this tarp to the PVC frame to form the shower stall walls.
I finished welding the trailer hitch mount to the tractor bus. Now, I just have to rebuild that drive train. I have to decide between that 002 transaxle or an 091; definitely going to use an 091 clutch and bell housing, but I may want the 002 gear ratio for towing?
Today, I am mounting the bed to the trailer. At the back end, I use 9″ U bolts to attach it to the frame. Unfortunately at the front end, I have to drill through the grey water collector. I encased the front end bolts in sealed wood blocks. These raised cleats will keep water from going down the frame attachment holes.
I made the trailer bed support beam out of anodized aluminum bars. I laminated the bars with rivets instead of welding. Welding would have burned away the anodization. I wanted a 1 1/2″ profile to match the 2 x 4 frame skids underneath the bed which are really 1 1/2″ thick. The notch underneath the bed is where the support beam goes.
I found an old mouse nest in the frame, so I am housing the wires with 1/2″ PVC conduit. I had to unbolt the front end of the frame to thread my PVC manifold up to the junction box.
I made the shower stall wall supports out of 1/2″ PVC pipe. Steel pipe would have been too heavy and not that flexible in the wind. Each wall is four feet high. The rod connecting the two walls will support the shower curtain. It is 1″ PVC. I used bolts instead of glue on the 90 degree elbows because I figure this will be the stress point in a wind storm and the likely place where the PVC breaks.